Cruggleton Church Mystery
Cruggleton Church was built in the 12th century as a private chapel for the Lords of Galloway of nearby Cruggleton Castle. Located in a copse, by the road, south of Garlieston, the church was carefully restored from a ruin , c.1890 by architect William Galloway for John Crichton-Stuart, the 3rd Marquess of Bute (1847 - 1900). Although substantially based on the original mediaeval work. The church is open to the public on request - a key is at a local farm.
Cruggleton Castle is about 600 yards behind it on the cliffs.
Cruggleton Church is a seriously odd place, incongrous to it's surroundings.
There is a very good blog post 'is Cruggleton Church a Medieval War Grave?'
Full story here
Legends of Galloway: Being a Series of Traditions, Illustrative of Its Ancient History, Customs .